How to Get Rid of Junk in Your Garage
It’s hard to believe that once upon a time, garages were filled with junk. Nowadays, the garage storage is a thing of the past. With the advent of modern technology, garages are becoming increasingly organized and functional spaces.
Garage Storage Tips
The first step towards organizing your garage is to remove any clutter. This includes old tools, lawn equipment, and other items that aren’t being used regularly. Once you’ve removed everything from your garage, you need to organize it.
Here are some tips for organizing your garage:
– Shelves are great for storing large items such as lawn equipment or garden supplies. They’re also helpful for storing small items such as screws or nails. Use hooks – Hooks are great for hanging things like coats and jackets. You can even use them to hang up toys and children’s clothing.
– Hooks are great for hanging things like coats and jackets. You can even use them to hang up toys and children’s clothing.
– Boxes are great for holding all sorts of items. If you have an extra box lying around but something inside it. For example, if you have an empty cardboard box, fill it with magazines or books. Use bins.
– Bins are perfect for keeping smaller items together. You can store anything from batteries to cleaning products in a bin. Make sure they’re labeled, so you know what each one contains. Label everything.
– Labeling everything helps you find what you’re looking for quickly. It makes finding specific items much easier than having to search through piles of stuff.
Now that your garage has been cleaned out and organized, it’s time to start using it!
The best way to do this is by creating a system. For example, a good system will help keep your garage neat.
Here are some ideas for systems that work well for garages:
Create a tool rack/bench area – Create a separate space to safely store all your power tools and gardening equipment. Keep these areas away from walls and windows so there won’t be any damage caused by accidental falls.
- Create a separate space where you can safely store all your power tools and gardening equipment. Keep these areas away from walls and windows so there won’t be any damage caused by accidental falls.
- Organize your car parts – Have a designated place for all your car parts? Put them in their own container or on a shelf.
- Have a designated place for all your car parts? Put them in their own container or on a shelf.
- Build a workshop – There are many different ways to build a workshop.
Some people prefer to make their own while others buy prefabricated models. Whatever method you choose, make sure you invest in quality materials.
There are many different ways to build a workshop. Some people prefer to make their own while others buy prefabricated models.
Whatever method you choose, make sure you invest in quality materials.
- Install shelving – Installing shelving allows you to create more usable space. You can install shelves anywhere in your garage, including under your kitchen cabinets. Installing shelving allows you to create more usable space. You can install shelves anywhere in your garage, including under your kitchen cabinets.
- Buy a pegboard – Pegboards allow you to display various items such as paintbrushes, screwdrivers, hammers, etc.
- Pegboards allow you to display various items such as paintbrushes, screwdrivers, hammers, etc.
- Hang pictures – Hanging pictures adds character to your garage. You can hang photos, posters, paintings, etc., in your garage. Just remember to clean off the wall before putting up new artwork. Hanging pictures adds character to your garage. You can hang photos, posters, paintings, etc., in your garage. Just remember to clean off the wall before putting up new artwork.
- Add lighting – Lighting not only improves visibility but also creates a cozy atmosphere. Consider installing overhead lights or adding recessed lighting.
Once you’ve created a system, it’ll be easy to maintain your garage. All you need to do is keep it clean and organized. When you take care of your garage, it’ll become a pleasant addition to your home instead of just another storage space.
If you want to learn how to get rid of junk in your garage, check out our guide below.
1. Remove Clutter
Before you begin organizing your garage, you should clear out any clutter. Start by removing old tools, lawn equipment, and other items that aren’t being used frequently.
2. Sort Items
Next, sort your items into groups based on type. Do this by placing similar items in the same group. For example, you could group your tools into a “power tools” category. Then, you could group your outdoor furniture into a “furniture” category.
3. Clean Out Garages
After sorting your items, you should thoroughly clean out your garage:
- Vacuum the floor and then wash down the walls and ceiling.
- Wipe down the surfaces with a damp cloth.
- Give the entire garage a thorough scrubbing.
When you’re done cleaning, declutter your garage. Take everything out of the garage and arrange it on the ground. Group similar items together. For example, you could combine your garden hoses and sprinklers into one group.
Finally, after getting rid of all the clutter, you should organize your garage. Choose a spot near the door and layout all your items. Arrange your items according to size and color. For example, you could stack more oversized items on top of smaller ones. Or, you could group items by color and place them side-by-side.
6. Enjoy Your New Space
You now have a clean, organized garage. So enjoy it! You deserve it! After all, you worked really hard to get it ready.
7. Donate Old Tools
Donating unused tools to charity is an excellent way to reduce clutter. But don’t donate your expensive tools. Instead, sell them online or at local flea markets.
8. Recycle Old Materials
Recycling old materials is a great way to save money. Check out Freecycle, which lets you post free items for others to use.
9. Sell Used Furniture
Selling used furniture is a great way to earn extra cash. If you’re interested in selling furniture, consider checking out Craigslist, eBay, or Facebook Marketplace.
10. Rent Storage Units
Renting a storage unit is a great option when you’re too busy to deal with clutter. Plus, renting gives you access to a secure, climate-controlled environment.
11. Turn Your Garage Into An Office
Turning your garage into an office is a great idea. Not only does it provide additional workspace, but it also saves you money because you no longer need to pay rent.
12. Convert Your Garage To A Workshop
A workshop is a significant investment. Not only does it offer plenty of room for projects, but it also provides protection against theft. However, converting your garage into a workshop requires significant effort. Therefore, you may want to hire someone else to complete the job.
13. DIY Shop
DIY shops are popular among homeowners who love saving money. These shops usually come equipped with essential tools and machinery. You can purchase most of the equipment needed to convert your garage into a shop.
14. Install shelving
Installing shelving is a simple project that takes less than 30 minutes. In fact, you can easily install it yourself. Simply follow the instructions provided by the manufacturer, and you’ll soon have a custom-built shelving solution.
15. Install Pegboards
Pegboards are ideal for displaying various items such as paints, brushes, and screwdrivers. They’re also great for displaying photos, art, and other family memorabilia.
16. Hang Pictures
Hanging pictures is a fun activity that everyone enjoys. Whether you’re decorating your living room or bedroom, you can add personality to your space by hanging pictures.
17. Paint Walls
Painting the walls of your garage is a quick and inexpensive way to improve its appearance. You can either go with a neutral shade or opt for bright colors. Either way, painting the walls of your garage is a fun project that anyone can do.